Protecting your privacy is important to us.
How we collect your personal information
We will collect and hold your personal information in a fair and lawful manner, and not in an intrusive way. Where it is reasonably practical to do so, we will collect your personal information directly from you. We may collect the personal information you directly give us through some of the following means:
- when you fill in our contact form, sign up to our newsletter or use our shopping cart;
- when you make an inquiry or order in relation to goods or services through our website;
- when you use any software applications or services provided by our organisation;
- in administering and performing any contracts with service providers;
- when you contact us via telephone;
- when you interact with us via social media;
- from correspondence (whether in writing or electronically);
- while conducting customer satisfaction and market research surveys;
- when administering any of our services; and
- as we otherwise deal with you in the course of our business.
However, in certain cases we may collect personal information from publically available sources and third parties, such as suppliers, recruitment agencies, contractors, our clients and business partners.
If we collect personal information about you from a third party we will, where appropriate, request that the third party inform you that we are holding such information, how we will use and disclose it, and that you may contact us to gain access to and correct and update the information.
Types of personal information we collect
The type of personal information we may collect can include (but is not limited to), your name, age, postal address, email address, phone numbers, billing information and details about your education.
We do not typically collect sensitive information, such as information about health, race or religion. Where we do propose to collect sensitive information about you, we will only do so with your consent, or otherwise in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Where you do not wish to provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with requested goods or services.
Our purposes for handling your personal information
As a general rule, we only process personal information for purposes that would be considered relevant and reasonable in the circumstances.
We will not sell, trade, or rent your personal identification information to third parties.
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information to:
- offer and provide you with our goods and services;
- manage and administer those goods and services, including account keeping procedures;
- communicate with you, including (but not limited to) emailing you in relation to any orders;
- comply with our legal and regulatory obligations; and
- otherwise manage our business.
Where you are a minor, we may also:
- collect, hold and use your personal information to communicate with your parent or guardian; and
- disclose any personal information we hold about you to your parent or guardian.
We will not use or disclose your personal information for any other purpose unless you have consented to that use or disclosure, or as otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act.
We may disclose personal information between our organisations or to third parties such as our suppliers, organisations that provide us with technical and support services, or our professional advisors, where permitted by the Privacy Act. If we disclose information to a third party, we generally require that the third party protect your information to the same extent that we do.
Protection of personal information
We will hold personal information as either secure physical records, electronically on our intranet system, in cloud storage, and in some cases, records on third party servers, which may be located outside of Australia.
We maintain appropriate physical, procedural and technical security for our offices and information storage facilities so as to prevent any loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, or modification of personal information. This also applies to the disposal of personal information.
We further protect personal information by restricting access to personal information to only those who need access to the personal information to do their job. Physical, electronic and managerial procedures have been employed to safeguard the security and integrity of your personal information.
We will destroy or de-identify personal information once it is no longer needed for a valid purpose or required to be kept by law.
We will only knowingly collect personal information from or about a minor:
- as strictly necessary to seek the abovementioned consent.
No third parties are involved in the collection of personal information from minors via our services.
We will not require a minor to disclose more information than is reasonably necessary to participate in an activity.
The types of personal information we collect from minors includes:
- full name;
- email address;
- contact details of their parents or guardian;
- information about any of our products they may have, or have access to;
- information about their educational institution and progress; and
- information generated in the course of their use of our services, such as their interactions with other users, or their scripts developed using our services.
We may collect personal information about a minor:
- directly from the minor, as they use our services and otherwise interact with us;
- from the minor’s parent or guardian;
- from the minor’s educational institution; and
- from other users of our services, if and when they use the services to interact with the minor.
We may also collect some information of a technical nature automatically. This will typically be non-identifiable information about the products and technology used by a minor, such as IP address, operating system and technical specifications.
We will only use personal information about a minor to facilitate their use of our services. This may include for the purpose of the minor’s use of our web applications, or participation in any educational programmes that we run.
We may disclose personal information about minors to third parties in very limited circumstances:
- Where a minor uses our services collaboratively, or opts to use our services to share materials with other users or the public, then we will disclose only such information as necessary to such other users or persons as necessary to facilitate this.
- We may disclose personal information about a minor to that minor’s educational institution, which may use this information to assist in the delivery of educational services to the minor.
- Information collected about a minor may be disclosed to that minor’s parent or guardian on request.
- We may use third parties, such as MailChimp, to store personal information on our behalf. These third parties will only use this information as directed by us.
Subject to the above, we do not disclose personal information collected from minors to third parties.
A parent, guardian or educational institution may contact us using the details set out at the end of this policy to:
- review any personal information we hold about a minor in their care or charge;
- request that we update or delete any such personal information;
- request that we refrain from disclosing their minor’s personal information to particular third parties; and/or
- request that we refrain from any further collection or use of their minor’s personal information.
Please note that we are SOPIPA compliant (California) and compliant with the “Student user privacy in education rights (SUPER) Act” (Senate Bill 5419 – Washington State).
We may use your personal information to undertake direct marketing activities where you have signed up to receive our newsletter, or otherwise opted to received direct marketing materials from us.
We will not disclose your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent.
You may opt out at any time if you no longer wish to receive commercial messages from us. You can make this request using the unsubscribe links in our newsletters, or by contacting our Privacy Officer.
Web browser cookies
When you visit our site, short text files called cookies are downloaded to your computer. These cookies are used to store small amounts of information. This information is collected for purposes such as remembering your shopping cart, login, account content, traffic analysis and marketing.
Where our websites, software or other services contain functionality that allows you to log in as a registered user, then cookies will be used to identify you as that user.
Our websites use Google Analytics for Display Advertisers to collect non-identifiable visitor data and analyse traffic. This information helps us understand customer interests and helps us improve our websites and marketing. The cookie does not contain personal details.
Third party website advertising
This website may use the available information from the cookies to advertise to you on other websites that are part of the Google Display Network. This is called remarketing.
You can opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertisers and opt out of customized Google Display Network ads by visiting Google’s Ads Preferences Manager. There is also a Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
You may contact our Privacy Officer to request access to the personal information that we hold about you and/or to make corrections to that information, at any time. On the rare occasions when we refuse access, we will provide you with a written notice stating our reasons for refusing access. We may seek to recover from you reasonable costs incurred for providing you with access to any of the personal information about you held by us.
We are not obliged to correct any of your personal information if we do not agree that it requires correction and may refuse to do so. If we refuse a correction request, we will provide you with a written notice stating our reasons for so refusing.
We will respond to all requests for access to or correction of personal information within a reasonable time.
International transfers of personal information
From time to time we may engage a recipient located outside of Australia to provide services to us, such as cloud-based storage solutions. Please note that the use of international service providers to store personal information will not always involve a disclosure of personal information to that overseas provider.
By providing your personal information to us, you consent to us disclosing your personal information to any such international recipients for purposes necessary or useful in the course of operating our business, and agree that APP 8.1 will not apply to such disclosures. For the avoidance of doubt, in the event that an overseas recipient breaches the Australian Privacy Principles, that entity may not be bound by, and you may not be able seek redress under, the Privacy Act.
Your acceptance of these terms
Phone: +61 8 8166 7193
PO Box 8052
Grange SA 5022
We take all complaints seriously and will respond to your complaint within a reasonable period.
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Phone: +61 1300 363 992
This document was last updated on 11 July 2017.
Disclaimer: use of trademarks on this website
“Python” and the Python logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Python Software Foundation, used in accordance with permission rules from the Foundation. https://www.python.org/psf/trademarks/#uses-that-never-require-approval
LEGO is a trademark of the LEGO Group, which does not sponsor, authorize or endorse this website, or the Edison robot or accessories.